Wednesday 10 October 2012

Couch Surfing: Part 1/3

I like meeting new people. It broadens your horizons, widens perspective and prevents the onset of ‘frog in the well’ syndrome. That is what drew me to couch surfing in the first place: the opportunity to meet new people, people from different countries, hear about their way of life, hear stories about their travel (good, bad and ugly ones) and to have new experiences.

For the uninitiated, let me take a brief moment and explain what couch surfing is all about.

Isn’t it true that travel is more fun when you have friends wherever you go and who make you feel at home in any city?

Imagine having interesting friends around the world who will host you in their homes, show you around, and offer you a local’s perspective on what’s cool and interesting in their towns.

It is essentially a network of people who love travelling, who share their experiences and travel advice. It gives you a platform to research travel destinations from locals as well as those who have travelled to a place of your interest to make the most of your trips, avoid mistakes they made and essentially have a good holiday.

As a host, you not only learn about new cultures, but also reignite your love for your city by constantly seeing it through fresh eyes.

Interesting isn’t it?

But when I first heard about couch surfing, I was apprehensive. The curious cat within me saw it as a fantastic opportunity to meet new people, while the paranoid within me thought of it as a situation which could potentially unravel to horrid proportions.

In the time that I spent deliberating over the merits of couch surfing, friends I knew were meeting new people, taking them around the city, sharing stories of their experiences with me. Curiosity won and I decided to give in to the lure of being an ambassador for my country.

The first few interactions were simple email exchanges. The requests varied - helping them out with suggestions for places to eat, places to shop for souvenirs, where to buy jewelry from, what price range would the cab fare be etc. I was just being their travel help without actually spending time with them. It was ‘good samaritan’ behavior at a safe distance. I was just starting to realize how much help knowing a local can be. No wonder this concept is such a success.

Tourists visiting Mumbai have some typical requests. Everyone who comes to the country since ‘Slumdog Millionaire’, wants to visit Dharavi (after all, it is the largest slum in Asia). Then there is the ‘place of the terrorist attack’, ‘the Gateway of India’, the ‘queen’s necklace’ and many of them want to see a Hindi movie too!

And then there are also some atypical requests as well. Having been in the city for over 20 years now, I believed myself to be quite familiar with the city. I could not have been more wrong. The Lonely Planet, a Bible for tourists, has shown me exactly how much I don't know about my own city. It’s embarrassing to admit, but I have had to rely on good old Google a lot more than I would have liked.

The first time I took someone to the ‘Gateway of India’ was an eye opener. The American I was with, wandered off to take some photographs and I was following him at a distance with a fellow from the UK. This other person I was with, was essentially a Bangladeshi national who had settled in the UK. In the context of skin color, he did not stand out in the crowd of people at the Gateway unlike my American friend. It is unbelievable how many people asked a random American to pose for photographs. And he obliged with a huge grin on his face too. I don’t understand this phenomenon! I hardly think Indians are hounded abroad like we hound anyone with ‘foreign’ looking skin! And if we are, I hope we are as graceful.

The most embarrassing part about such episodes, are the questions that follow.

‘Why are Indians so fascinated with foreigners?’

‘Is it true that dark skin is frowned upon in India?’

And by far the most interesting one,’Where can I get a tan like yours?’

It is a well known fact that foreigners like colored skin. I guess everyone wants what they don’t have. They are surrounded by white skinned individuals. Everyone is a different shade of white and for them brown (yes, that is what they called me) is rare.

We, on the other hand, are surrounded by different shades of brown. This would explain the fascination for 'fair and lovely' skin here...:D

The first time I was asked this, I could not believe what I was hearing: ‘Where can I get a tan like yours. I want to be chocolate brown’

I had gone deep red in the face. But since the first time, I have learnt to handle my blush a lot better…:D

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment