Friday 10 February 2012

Vikruti Evam Prakriti



On 2 July 2009, the Delhi High Court de-criminalized homosexual intercourse between consenting adults, throughout India. It felt good to know that we as a country are ready to recognize the gay community. 

However, around seven months or so ago, I realized that it is not just the legal recognition that the community is fighting for.

I had decided not to right about this. But the recent controversy around the gay rights in California, brought back some old memories and so I thought of sharing my story.

I have altered some aspects of the story to ensure privacy of my friend. Let us name him XYZ.

There is a park near my home which I try to visit at least thrice a week. Since I have lived in the same locality since childhood, most of the faces at the park are familiar.

I ran into XYZ just as I was leaving the park one day. I had never seen his guy before. He is the sort of person who is hard to miss. He is about 6‘3” tall, very fair and looks like he is a regular at some gym.

Over the next few days, we graduated to smiling at each other when we passed each other.

A few days later, we had our first conversation at the juice center just outside the park. A consultant by profession, he was originally from Delhi and had moved to Mumbai a few months back.

XYZ and me were at the juice counter having small talk, when a group was just leaving the park. Since I know the group, I sort of waved a blanket good bye to everyone. To my surprise, a few of them completely ignored the greeting and proceeded out of the park.

Probably, they were engrossed in their own conversations; I thought to myself.

XYZ asked me,’ Do you know why they did not return your greeting?’

I did not know what to say, so I just waited for him to answer his own question.

‘It’s because you are standing with me’

Over the last few days, I had realized XYZ was gay. It did not affect my behavior with him. Why should it? His sexual orientation is of absolutely no consequence to me.

‘Have you seen anyone ever talking to me?’

Knowing that he was new to the city, I did not particularly expect him to have friends here. Somehow, the fact that people could be avoiding him just never struck me.

‘So now, they will not talk to you when you are with me’

OK. This was plain bizarre. Come on. People are not that crazy. Or were they?

‘I have been a member of this gym since over 4 months now. I used to work out in the evening’

He went ahead and told me how the gym members made him miserable. If he entered the weight training section, all the men pretty much vacated it the moment he entered the area.

They sniggered quite openly at him when he was working out and the men usually left the locker room when he walked in. Out of sheer dread, he had not even tried the steam room. He had paid up for a whole year, but he had stopped going to gym about a month or so back.

I felt nothing but abject pity for this man.

He went ahead and told me how he had met his partner. Both the men had decided to tell their families about each other. His parents in Delhi had disowned him. And currently they were dealing with his partners’ family in Mumbai. The outcome did not look positive there either.

It was not like they were children who had lost their way. It was a realization, a choice. And yet, no one was willing to accept their decision.

I started thinking about just how lonely they must be feeling.

Can you imagine your family disowning you? Can you ever imagine that your family would ever say that they rather have no child ? If family doesn’t understand, then who will?

I started thinking about the group who had apparently ignored me. What could they possibly have against this guy? The sexual orientation of one person should not matter to anyone else. Or is it because it is something they are unable to deal with? Can’t comprehend? Is it because they think it is not natural?

The sexual orientation of the person is such a personal choice. The Rigveda, one of the four canonical sacred texts of Hinduism says 'Vikruti Evam Prakriti'. It means - what seems un-natural is also natural. Historical literary evidence indicates that homosexuality has been prevalent across the Indian subcontinent throughout history, and that homosexuals were not necessarily considered inferior in any way.

I doubt if people consider the gay community to be inferior in any way. While legalizing gay marriages is important, a social approval and acceptance would definitely go a long way to make them feel a part of the society. What they need is not be frowned upon or discriminated against. What we need now, is a change in mentality.

4 comments:

  1. A few years ago, I was invited to the union of two friends, two men.

    I may be naive, but it seemed natural for me. Two friends, who want to live happy together, what is wrong.

    During the meal, one of my friends made a speech. He thanked all the people, tell us how our presence was important to him and he talked about tolerance. I cried and it’s not usual for me.
    I thought that the most important was the joy and the happiness of others. I discovered during this speech, the pain my friends had to live their happiness. What a paradox.

    For the parents who deny their child, remember, the primary goal is to have happy children.
    Finally, for those who avoid gay, you have to know that being gay is not a disease ... it is not contagious.

    Xavier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there is nothing wrong!... that is what the point is. People just act so immature and insensitive. Yes - tolerance is the key here.I wish people wud develop some amount of sensitivity while dealing with the gay community

      Delete
  2. Ain't it true for everything wrong in this world? We (read everyone) think that only their opinion, belief and desires are the right ones, may it be religion, sexual orientation, culture or nationalism. & this is what gives birth to most of the confrontations.

    Yeah, today it is about "Vikruti" vs "Prakruti". But who knows tomorrow it may be "You" vs "Me". I hope it never comes down to this and we decide to be more accommodating for the views and beliefs of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree - the secret here lies in accomodating every opinion,belief,desire of everyone around us even thought we might not subscribe to it... ppl need to give room. am reminded of this quote I find really apt. Its called the 'Gesalt Prayer' by Fritz Perls:
    "I do my thing and you do your thing.
    I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
    And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
    You are you, and I am I,
    and if by chance we find each other, it’s beautiful.
    If not, it can’t be helped."

    ReplyDelete